Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Getting voluntarly into a flank contact...
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Laurence
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 24, 2017 2:00 am    Sujet du message: Getting voluntarly into a flank contact... Répondre en citant
2 friendly units A and B, unit A's right front corner in contact with unit B's left corner.
B is 90 degrees off to A, i.e. in a classical flanking position (if A would be in melee to its front).

Enemy just needs 1 point to win. A has just 1 cohesion left, so a promising target.

An enemy unit, directly in front of A and outside the ZoCs of A and B, is advancing and contacts the front edge of A, exactly conformed.

Q1: During its move, the enemy's flank edge is in contact with the front edge of B.
However, is it a legal move of the enemy, and the contact with B is considered as a normal flank contact?

Q2: If conforming after the contact is made, only then the enemy's flank edge is in contact with the front edge of B...same question

Can someone clarify, with reference to the paragraph in the rulebook?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 24, 2017 9:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Could you provide a diagram of some sort, as your description can be interpreted in several ways. However in principle, a unit may neither charge a unit through the ZoC of a different enemy, nor conform into the ZoC of a unit when attacking a flank of a different enemy. See p34, p54 and the latest FAQ
Laurence
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 24, 2017 12:03 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I am talking of a different situation, could not manage to upload my diagram for better explanation. But maybe this helps:

Take the diagram "Example of support No 2" on page 51. Just look at friends A1 and A2, enemy B1.

Imagine that B1 was starting an attack move towards A1 directly in front of A1, but outside the ZoC of A2.
B1 can pass through the ZoC of A2, because the ZoC of A1 is more threatening, p34).
But during its move, the flank of B1 contacts the front edge of A2. When B1 ends in melee with A1, B1 gets disordered as being flanked by A2.

Is the attack move legal and the flank contact is handled normally?
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 24, 2017 6:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hmm
I think I see your question better. While I accept that the ZoC's of both friendly units would exactly coincide, I think I would argue that in practice this is represented by the diagram "movements ina ZOC" on p34.

Effectively you are trying to move the HI into contact with B where unit C is in corner to corner contact with B, and this is forbidden. Does that make sense?

The point is that you may conform into an enemy ZoC, but you may not actually move through it to contact a different unit which is apparently what you are intending.
Laurence
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 24, 2017 8:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
Hmm
I think I see your question better. While I accept that the ZoC's of both friendly units would exactly coincide, I think I would argue that in practice this is represented by the diagram "movements ina ZOC" on p34.

Effectively you are trying to move the HI into contact with B where unit C is in corner to corner contact with B, and this is forbidden. Does that make sense?

The point is that you may conform into an enemy ZoC, but you may not actually move through it to contact a different unit which is apparently what you are intending.

Not agree that it is forbidden to contact B.

When moving HI into contact with B where unit C is in corner to corner contact with B, HI enters both their ZoC at the same time.

Who is the most threatening enemy?
Enemy C is the nearest enemy whose ZoC covers a portion of the flank edge of HI.
However, B exerts a ZoC on the front edge of HI, making B the most threatening enemy.Thus HI may ignore the ZoC of C.

The special situation is, still assuming HI and B exactly coincide, HI is contacting with its flank edge the front edge of C during his move toward B. My big question: is it a legal move then?
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 24, 2017 10:10 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
And that is part of the point of the diagram on p34.
In AdlG as soon as a unit makes contact with an enemy unit, even front corner to corner, it must conform with that unit (cf charge p50). In this case it would have to conform on C. Since it has not started behind the flank it would end up facing the front of C.

The fact that the ZoCs overlap is immaterial because the HI must stop upon contacting an enemy unit (C). If C is not actually touching B, the diag on p34 is in force even if the HI enters the ZoC of C after entering the ZoC of B.
Laurence
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 25, 2017 12:21 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
And that is part of the point of the diagram on p34.
In AdlG as soon as a unit makes contact with an enemy unit, even front corner to corner, it must conform with that unit (cf charge p50). In this case it would have to conform on C. Since it has not started behind the flank it would end up facing the front of C.

The fact that the ZoCs overlap is immaterial because the HI must stop upon contacting an enemy unit (C). If C is not actually touching B, the diag on p34 is in force even if the HI enters the ZoC of C after entering the ZoC of B.

Got it! Conforming rule as described in the charge Definition p36 applies, now it makes sense.

Last question please: If HI gets in front to front contact with C, unit B makes a passive flank contact and HI suffers a normal -1 for disordered?
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 25, 2017 2:24 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If this occurs as the result of a move into contact, a ‘charge’, then potentially yes the unit would suffer the -1 disorder for being in melee on two sides as well as having its base factor reduced to ‘0’ and losing special abilities (Impact etc), depending on the unit type of enemy B. All in all, not a good choice in most circumstances . . .
Laurence
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 25, 2017 10:36 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
All clear now, many thanks Very Happy
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Nov 26, 2017 7:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
If this occurs as the result of a move into contact, a ‘charge’, then potentially yes the unit would suffer the -1 disorder for being in melee on two sides as well as having its base factor reduced to ‘0’ and losing special abilities (Impact etc), depending on the unit type of enemy B. All in all, not a good choice in most circumstances . . .

Please note page 59, left column 2nd bullet. If you are describing what I think you are describing then you are in error. No loss of cohesion.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Nov 26, 2017 10:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
My apologies, couldn’t remember where that bit was Embarassed

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: