Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Etruscans
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Auteur Message
Garry Grant
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 27, 2017 9:57 pm    Sujet du message: Etruscans Répondre en citant
When I formed my Etruscans it was for use in Hail Caesar - there was no specific list so I used WRG and WAB as my basis. With ADLG we have a purpose made list #48.

My question relates to the absence of any pilum armed heavy infantry. My WRG bible notes by the 4th century BCE some Etruscan citizens used pila instead of long thrusting spears. Both WRG and WAB allow pila armed heavy infantry.

As the Etruscans fought as hoplites - not in the more flexible Roman fashion - I could just call my pila armed troops spearmen.

I had thought about some as heavy impact swordsmen but this does not seem to have been their 'style'.

What do others think about the best option?

Thanks
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 28, 2017 1:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
ADLG classifications are all about "fighting style", not necessarily weaponry - this has generally also been the case for most rulesets (other than WAB!) for at least the last couple of decades, so its best to focus on style of fighting

If you depict some Etruscans with pila, and they fight as spearmen thats perfectly fine
Garry Grant
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 28, 2017 8:42 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks. I did not relish re-arming my hoplites with long spear!!

Ironically WRG allows them to be re-classed as 'blades' while WAB allows them to be re-armed with Heavy Throwing Weapons.

At least mediocre heavy spearmen will usually outnumber their opposition.

Garry
AntiokosIII
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 01, 2017 1:10 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I ran this army for awhile and didn't relish the experience. Basically, if your opponent has troops that will beat mediocre heavy spear, they will try to avoid your good troops and smash the spear. I used a Samnite ally, which helped when I could get some rough terrain, but the spear almost always died. This is not an army for the faint at heart.
Garry Grant
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 01, 2017 4:39 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Had originally formed the army when we were playing Hail Caesar and based the troops on the WRG/WAB lists.

Have used it twice under ADLG and was lucky both times beating Romans and then Samnites. My cavalry beat his, I managed overlaps at the right time and the mediocre spear held the line.

Interesting to hear of what other players think of the Etruscans, thanks.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: