Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Cavalry in rough
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 08, 2015 10:31 pm    Sujet du message: Cavalry in rough Répondre en citant
Cavalry with impact fight Javelinmen in Rough

Cavalry get
-2 for being in rough
+1 for being, erm, cavalry
no +1 for impact because they are in Rough

Do they get a further +1 for being "Cavalry vs MI" who don't have Impact?

(If so, Cv are as good as javelnmen in Rgo. Which is interesting.....)
Hugh
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 09, 2015 12:52 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The FAQ (5th question on page 1) states the CV +1 bonus vs MI/LMI only applies in open terrain. So if the CV charge javelinmen in rough and contact them front-to-front I think it is:

First melee round:
Javelinmen +1 for javelin bonus
Cavalry -1 (-2 mounted in rough, +1 CV vs LMI, Impact/CV vs MI 1st round bonuses are cancelled by rough terrain)

Second plus melee rounds:
Javelin 0 (javelin bonus not applicable after 1st round)
Cavalry -1 (no change from 1st round)

Looks like the Javelinmen have the edge overall but not a sure thing.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 09, 2015 3:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
does the javelin + count against mounted in this case?

Does the fact their impact doesn't apply mean they technically now don't have impact, as (I think) javelin is cancelled by "mounted with impact" .
sebastosfig
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 09, 2015 4:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Exactly Tim.
Because the mounted don't get their impact, the javelinmen can use their javelin bonus. Nasty, eh!

Wink Wink

http://backtotheminis.blogspot.com
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 09, 2015 5:04 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No sailor but a fool will attack a javelin man in rought with cavalry.
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 09, 2015 11:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
sebastosfig a écrit:
Exactly Tim.
Because the mounted don't get their impact, the javelinmen can use their javelin bonus. Nasty, eh!

Wink Wink

This melee was at the Central London club on Thurs. We got it wrong, to Tim's disadvantage.

I cannot remember whether or not we allowed for javelins. I have a feeling that we may have forgotten about them. But the rules allowing them in this case look fairly clear.

The rules for the cavalry bonus are (unless we missed a something) less obvious. We did not have the FAQs with us. My reading of the CV text on p 20, "Add +1 in first phase vs MI except if cavalry already has impact" was that cavalry of all sorts get +1 in the first round v MI / LMI - either from impact if the cav have impact or from this line if they do not have impact. As the terrain negated the cavalry's impact bonus I thought they did not have impact and consequently should probably benefit from this +1. Tim read it right. But I think it would be good if this rule could be made more clear if a new edition is printed.

As it was we decided to roll the dice and see if it mattered. It did not as the cav (who also benefited from an overlap) rolled high and the javelin low, ending-up on (I think) plus 3 or plus 4 depending on how you read this rule. So it was two hits either way. But if we were also missing the javelins it might only have been one hit. Apologies if so.

Next bound the javelinman, now wounded as well as overlapped, again threw low and was killed. That was typical of Tim's luck that night.

Alan
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 10, 2015 7:47 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Each bad situation could be reverse by a 6 - 1! Cool
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 10, 2015 9:02 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yep. I think we missed the javelins because I misread the factors from the table on the QRS which (I think) says

"Javelinmen : +1 vs LI, LH, El, javelins"

as meaning...

"Javelinmen : +1 vs LI, LH, El (this is when Javelinmen get a plus, sort of like Armour is for HC)"

instead of

"Javelinmen : +1 vs LI, LH, El plus any additional factor for javelin that is listed in the capabilities section and applies in this combat"

On the flip side, I have a feeling that I'm finally starting to get my head round how there rules work. I also have realised that I need to print off and read the QRS before the competition next weekend.
sebastosfig
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 10, 2015 11:32 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Don't worry Tim. I won't be too far Very Happy

http://backtotheminis.blogspot.com
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 10, 2015 2:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
Yep. I think we missed the javelins because I misread the factors from the table on the QRS which (I think) says

"Javelinmen : +1 vs LI, LH, El, javelins"

as meaning...

"Javelinmen : +1 vs LI, LH, El (this is when Javelinmen get a plus, sort of like Armour is for HC)"

instead of

"Javelinmen : +1 vs LI, LH, El plus any additional factor for javelin that is listed in the capabilities section and applies in this combat"

On the flip side, I have a feeling that I'm finally starting to get my head round how there rules work. I also have realised that I need to print off and read the QRS before the competition next weekend.

We may well have over-looked the javelin factor as well and, if so, it is as much my fault as yours. If we got two things wrong in this melee then the double wound marker the javelinmen took should definitely have been reduced to one and perhaps to none. I hope that would not have changed the overall result: I don't think it would have.

The more I play this, the more I enjoy it. However, there do seem to be quite a few exceptions and sub-clauses to some of the rules. These can be difficult for new players, like us, to take in. I guess they have accumulated over time and help to produce the good and well-balanced game that ADLG is. It would be similar if someone played their first game of DBM (an older set of rules) with version 3.1 of that set. They would benefit from improvements made over many years' play but, not having experienced the earlier versions, the reasoning behind some of the finer points in the rules (mitigating factors, for example) would not be apparent to them.

I too will be printing-out the FAQ sheet:

http://www.artdelaguerre.fr/download/FAQ_AdG_EN_14-01-2015.pdf

Alan
hcaille
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 12, 2015 2:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hugh a écrit:
The FAQ (5th question on page 1) states the CV +1 bonus vs MI/LMI only applies in open terrain. So if the CV charge javelinmen in rough and contact them front-to-front I think it is:

First melee round:
Cavalry -1 (-2 mounted in rough, +1 CV vs LMI, Impact/CV vs MI 1st round bonuses are cancelled by rough terrain)

You are perfectly right
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 12, 2015 9:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
hcaille a écrit:
Hugh a écrit:

First melee round:

You are perfectly right

So you are, Ô El Kreator!

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: