Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Commanders in Melee
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 11, 2014 1:03 pm    Sujet du message: Commanders in Melee Répondre en citant
This question is about separately-based commanders attached to a unit in melee.

1. A player can choose to commit a commander to a melee. The commander then adds 1 to the unit's fighting factor, but risks being killed. The right hand column of page 24 makes it clear that in this case he cannot leave the melee "until the unit is eliminated or flees."

2. A more cautious player might attach a commander to a unit in melee but not commit the commander to the fight. In this case he doesn't add to he combat factor, but doesn't risk being killed.

Question. In this second case must the commander stay attached to that unit until the end of the melee or can he move off next turn?

Many in my club have played an earlier set of rules called Field of Glory. In that set a general who is committed to the front rank of a melee must stay there until the melee is won or lost. But a general who is with a unit in melee but not fighting in the front rank (ie not adding to its combat factor) may leave at any time. Players assume that the same distinction applies in ADLG.

However, the left hand column of page 24 says, "When a commander is attached to a unit he stays attached to it until the end of the game-turn or until the end of the melee if it is engaged in combat."

Assuming that the "it" there refers to the unit rather than to the commander am I right in thinking that the commander must stay with the unit in melee whether or not he is committed to fight in the melee himself?

Alan
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Soranon
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 11, 2014 1:18 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It's the same as FoG

A general can be with a unit but not in melee. It's player choice.

A general that don't fight can leave the unit when he want to.

Left hand column of page24 as you said, in the french rule it's said that the general must stay with the unit until the end of the turn or the end of the melee only if he is figthing.
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 12, 2014 1:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Soranon a écrit:
It's the same as FoG

A general can be with a unit but not in melee. It's player choice.

A general that don't fight can leave the unit when he want to.

Left hand column of page24 as you said, in the french rule it's said that the general must stay with the unit until the end of the turn or the end of the melee only if he is figthing.

Thank you - that makes good sense and is very helpful,

Alan
sebastosfig
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 12, 2014 4:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Alan. I thought it was clear enough in our English book. The general can't leave the unit he's attached to if he is fighting with the unit. Otherwise he is free go Very Happy

http://backtotheminis.blogspot.com
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 12, 2014 8:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
sebastosfig a écrit:
Hi Alan. I thought it was clear enough in our English book. The general can't leave the unit he's attached to if he is fighting with the unit. Otherwise he is free go Very Happy

Hi Seb,

I might easily have missed a fuller explanation elsewhere, but the sentence on p24 is ambiguous.

"When a commander is attached to a unit he stays attached to it until the end of the game-turn or until the end of the melee if it is engaged in combat."

Who or what is the "it" engaged in combat? It could be either the commander or the unit he is with. Normally "it" refers to something impersonal, like a unit. In which case the sentence would say that the general is tied to the unit until the end of the melee. Only if the "it" referred to is the commander does the sentence allow him to leave before the end of the melee, if he himself is not engaged in combat. That's an allowable reading, but the English norm would be to refer to a commander as "he" rather than "it."

Alan
sebastosfig
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 12, 2014 10:04 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Oh right. Sorry, my mistake.
Yes, you must replace the " it" with "he". Dang! We missed this one. There should be no confusion. Wink

I'm compiling a list of typos, mistakes for Herve. If you find something strange elsewhere, tell me.

cheers

http://backtotheminis.blogspot.com
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: