Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Charges and Extenstions
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 09, 2023 12:29 pm    Sujet du message: Charges and Extenstions Répondre en citant
Are you able to do an extension and charge units into contact ?

Ie Group of units start 2 wide, 2 deep. They declare a charge and say I'm going to expand this group by two units and then move into contact with enemy I have declared a charge on.

Is this allowed ?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 09, 2023 2:34 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
p 43 left column section 4, last bullet.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 09, 2023 6:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:

For clarification....
Its understood a group expanding or contracting on its initial position can contact enemy. But can a group expand/contract and then advance into contact? This isn't a type of charge listed in the first bullet point, but could be read into the last. If such a charge is not allowed I can't see how a contracting group could ever legally contact enemy as a charge.
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 09, 2023 7:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Alan,

I originally agreed with you. Page 33 first bullet says that a group may advance straight ahead before or after an extension.

So my reading had always been that if the extension puts you in contact it counts as a charge, but that if contact requires an advance *after* the extension you may not make it a charge. As extension is not one of the allowed maneuvers before a charge, and the advance after extension is optional and not part of the extension itself.

A contraction requires an advance, the exemption to the general case for it does not present a difficulty. The advance is part of the contraction.

That said, upon reflection, given the inclusion of contractions into the specifically allowed cases it seems to me that any extension move is intended to be allowed.
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 09, 2023 11:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:

I've always read that as implying the unit is already in contact/melee and rear ranks are moved into contact/melee with enemy
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 09, 2023 11:44 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
Hi Alan,

I originally agreed with you. Page 33 first bullet says that a group may advance straight ahead before or after an extension.

So my reading had always been that if the extension puts you in contact it counts as a charge, but that if contact requires an advance *after* the extension you may not make it a charge. As extension is not one of the allowed maneuvers before a charge, and the advance after extension is optional and not part of the extension itself.

A contraction requires an advance, the exemption to the general case for it does not present a difficulty. The advance is part of the contraction.

That said, upon reflection, given the inclusion of contractions into the specifically allowed cases it seems to me that any extension move is intended to be allowed.

I've always played it as outlined in second paragraph above.
The situation arose from a game at the weekend.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 10, 2023 7:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ballista a écrit:
Hazelbark a écrit:

I've always read that as implying the unit is already in contact/melee and rear ranks are moved into contact/melee with enemy

Hi Balista, the quoted text covers both situations where the head of a column is already in contact and expands to bring rear units into contact, and where a group of units expands / contracts as part of the charge movement. 
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 11, 2023 1:55 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:

Hi Balista, the quoted text covers both situations where the head of a column is already in contact and expands to bring rear units into contact, and where a group of units expands / contracts as part of the charge movement. 

Thanks for explicitly laying this out.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 11, 2023 9:44 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I just don’t get it.

If the head of a column is already in contact with the enemy it will (apart from certain exceptions) have fully conformed.

Why would other units in the column use an extension move to now make contact? Wouldn’t this cost an extra CP because the head of the column is already in combat?

Surely other units in the column would make their own moves by paying 1 CP to slide sideways and advance into contact, on either side of the column head unit, if there are sufficient CP? Or in the case of impetuous units with insufficient CP, make an uncontrolled charge into contact starting with a slide. These moves are not really “extensions†by the column.

If I have a column of 4 MC 2UD away from a line of enemy non-evading troops, for 1CP can I charge the column into contact (by the lead unit) and then simply flick the other 3 units out into contact as an extension charge?
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 11, 2023 10:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Subject to constraints on expansion yes

Expansion cost is 1UD plus 1UD for each unit that expands (frontage) so in your example wouldn't it be expansion by 1 unit only?
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 11, 2023 10:31 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ballista a écrit:

Expansion cost is 1UD plus 1UD for each unit that expands (frontage) so in your example wouldn't it be expansion by 1 unit only?

Yep good point - I forgot to “pay†for the 2UD distance of the charge. So columns of 2 cavalry 2UD away from a target can always get both units into contact for 1CP by using an expansion following initial contact.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 11, 2023 12:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Zoltan a écrit:
Ballista a écrit:

Yep good point - I forgot to “pay†for the 2UD distance of the charge. So columns of 2 cavalry 2UD away from a target can always get both units into contact for 1CP by using an expansion following initial contact.

.. which, as you pointed out earlier, they can also do for 2 pips by moving the two units separately anyway.

I can see that most if not all of us may have missed this possibility before now, but I’m honestly struggling to see how it’s problematic as the “gain†over moving the units separately is so very marginal 
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 11, 2023 5:37 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Just to be clear you can expand and charge. Not charge and expand.
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 11, 2023 7:58 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
"Just to be clear you can expand and charge. Not charge and expand."

Well Dan...

Page 43 says that an expansion move that "brings the front of one or more units into contact with the enemy" is a charge.

Page 33 first bullet says that a group may advance straight ahead before or after an extension.

Now I am informed that the advance after an extension is really part of the whole extension move so page 43 in fact means you may extend and charge.

Fair enough

However page 33 last bullet says that it is possible to make an extension even if one or more of the front units are in melee. So if the advance is just part of the extension why can't it be done before the units flare out in addition to after?

Given the principle that specific cases modify general cases.

I'm willing to accept "just because" if this is what is desired of course. Rules writing is difficult.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 11, 2023 9:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
"Just to be clear you can expand and charge. Not charge and expand."

Well Dan...

Page 43 says that an expansion move that "brings the front of one or more units into contact with the enemy" is a charge.

Page 33 first bullet says that a group may advance straight ahead before or after an extension.

Now I am informed that the advance after an extension is really part of the whole extension move so page 43 in fact means you may extend and charge.

Fair enough

However page 33 last bullet says that it is possible to make an extension even if one or more of the front units are in melee. So if the advance is just part of the extension why can't it be done before the units flare out in addition to after?

Given the principle that specific cases modify general cases.

I'm willing to accept "just because" if this is what is desired of course. Rules writing is difficult.

I suspect "just because" is sufficient here, but if you wish to gild Dan's lily on this I think you could then refer to the third sentence on p42 Definition of a Charge, which states the charge stops once contact with the target is made.

If the charge has stopped, there is then no further opportunity to expand during the charge .. Cool

(Expanding when "in melee" would of course then have to be a separate move in a subsequent turn)

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: