Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Better to Attack or Defend?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Tournaments and Events
Auteur Message
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Sep 30, 2021 8:21 pm    Sujet du message: Better to Attack or Defend? Répondre en citant
Has anyone looked at tournament results to see what percentage of games are won by the attacker and the defender?

If one side or the other does better, it could that that (1) one side is advantaged under the rules, or (2) that better players think that side is advantaged so they set themselves up to have better odds of getting the better option in tournament games, or (3) both.

Kevin
PS - if there is a better category for this thread please feel free to move it over there….
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Sep 30, 2021 10:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Kevin,

I don't think there's a record of which armies attacked and defended even in tournament games.

The player who wins the initiative roll most often chooses to attack which suggests there is an advantage attacking. one part of which is deploying second and moving first.

To balance that the defender can place some tricky ambushes, has more terrain options and is less likely to suffer from an unreliable corps becoming hesitant.

On the whole it seems fairly balanced.

Dave
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Sep 30, 2021 11:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
Hi Kevin,

I don't think there's a record of which armies attacked and defended even in tournament games.

The player who wins the initiative roll most often chooses to attack which suggests there is an advantage attacking. one part of which is deploying second and moving first.

To balance that the defender can place some tricky ambushes, has more terrain options and is less likely to suffer from an unreliable corps becoming hesitant.

On the whole it seems fairly balanced.

Dave

Why do you say the defender is less likely to suffer from unreliable generals? All their troops under unreliable or allied generals start out as hesitant (see the top right paragraph on page 80) and only become reliable after they are provoked or first dice to move. The defender’s hesitant archers in particular suffer from this as the enemy can match up to 4 UD from them and the hesitant archers can’t shoot at them, giving thheir opponents the chance to. I’ve 4 UD away without being shot.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 01, 2021 7:05 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Kevin,

Light troops are usually deployed forward, often only 6UD apart so the attacker has to choose between the advantage of first move and holding back for a slim chance that the unreliable/ally commander will become hesitant. A canny defender deploys unreliable commanders where they expect the enemy to advance.

On the other hand, if the attacker has a command become hesitant that's a big hole in any plan to rush forward. Effectively. it gives the initiative to the defender.

Dave
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 02, 2021 5:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
Hi Kevin,

Light troops are usually deployed forward, often only 6UD apart so the attacker has to choose between the advantage of first move and holding back for a slim chance that the unreliable/ally commander will become hesitant. A canny defender deploys unreliable commanders where they expect the enemy to advance.

On the other hand, if the attacker has a command become hesitant that's a big hole in any plan to rush forward. Effectively. it gives the initiative to the defender.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, that makes sense. You do provide some good ideas on how to use certain (most?) types of allies more effectively for the defender.
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 02, 2021 9:15 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I believe attacking a significant advantage. I will always choose to do so except in a very small number of circumstances. The most notably is attacking an army with significant (8+) camels where I can only attack in the desert.

I will certainly attack a Mongol or similar in the steppes.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 02, 2021 9:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
ethan a écrit:
I believe attacking a significant advantage. I will always choose to do so except in a very small number of circumstances. The most notably is attacking an army with significant (8+) camels where I can only attack in the desert.

I will certainly attack a Mongol or similar in the steppes.

I am with Ethan on this. Big big advantage. Specially with a strategist attacker
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 02, 2021 9:43 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
Hi Kevin,On the whole it seems fairly balanced.

Defender getting second chance at adjusting terrain is for me one of his few benefits, the other being the more advanced ambushes. On the other hand deploy first, move second is a big big disadvantage, and why I almost never choose to defend.

Dernière édition par Mike Bennett le Mer Oct 06, 2021 1:49 am; édité 1 fois
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 05, 2021 11:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
There is also a big variation of armies and matchups. A roman v German is less of advantage than say a Ghaznavid v Feudal German
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 06, 2021 2:50 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
With my Early Samurai army I always choose to defend, I what to pick the terrain, max out the terrain and use ambushes. Most other armies I think attack is the best option.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Tournaments and Events
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: