Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Is Incendiary canceled by flank or rear attack?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Sep 19, 2021 7:04 pm    Sujet du message: Is Incendiary canceled by flank or rear attack? Répondre en citant
Would only apply to El and WWg with blades, but should Incendiary be included in the abilities canceled by flank or rear attack?

Dernière édition par Za Otlichiye le Mer Sep 22, 2021 12:35 am; édité 1 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Sep 19, 2021 7:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
Would only apply to El, but should Incendiary be included in the abilities canceled by flank or rear attack?

Incendiary is not included in the list of factors cancelled by flank or rear attacks in the list given on p63 where this rule is found, and so is not cancelled.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Sep 20, 2021 4:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
Would only apply to El, but should Incendiary be included in the abilities canceled by flank or rear attack?

Incendiary is not included in the list of factors cancelled by flank or rear attacks in the list given on p63 where this rule is found, and so is not cancelled.

I think it’s an oversight. They are not in the list of abilities that don’t apply when flanked (2nd bullet on p. 63) but they are also not included in the list of those that still do apply (4th bullet). But was the oversight failing to include them in the 2nd or 4th bullet?

When I look at the 2nd bullet item I see they are all active effects from the unit taking an action (wielding a weapon, charging, etc.). In contrast the 4 bullet items are all passive abilities due to what is being worn (armor) or biology (big smelly beasts). To me incendiaries are more like the first category, weapons that have to be wielded to have an effect. Thus I would think they would not apply when their wielded is hit in the flank. Still I admit this is a pretty weak reed upon which to base the argument, but they have to go into one bullet or the other.
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Sep 20, 2021 5:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I have a horse in this as I just bought incendiary dudes for various periods...

Surely this is an oversight and it should cancelled like e.g. javs? Hbark?
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 10, 2021 7:59 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Is it also an oversight that Incendiary does not count against Scythed Chariots?
It has a (small) range and perhaps would deter crazed beasts more than a wall of spears.
Also it is a LI weapon.
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 10, 2021 8:35 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
By the way Incendiary is a shooting weapon. The effects are not counted when in close combat.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 11, 2021 3:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
fdunadan a écrit:
By the way Incendiary is a shooting weapon. The effects are not counted when in close combat.

Absolutly, try understanding before asking....
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 11, 2021 4:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
My understanding of
Citation:
Bonus of +1 for shooting and fighting against elephants and war wagons
is that it applies to both shooting and melee. If it means something else I'd welcome an explanation.
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 11, 2021 6:35 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
My apologies.
Incendiary is indeed listed p19 as giving a +1 bonus against El and WWg in fighting.
It is not listed in the canceled abilities, but neither in the preserved abilities Confused

so maybe it is an oversight?
waiting an explanation, it is logical to conserve the bonus even if flanked. (what is not forbidden is authorized)
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 11, 2021 7:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks FD - my own opinion is that precedence says weapon effect bonuses are canceled.

My new question is admittedly quite speculative. Does Incendiary count against SCh?
It would seem to be a LI weapon similar to javelins and probably just as effective and furthermore costs extra.
Since it looks like Incendiary may have been forgotten in the flank attack rules, and since I believe they are anachronistic with SCh, it seems quite possible no one thought to include it.
But of course there is not much to discuss rules wise - it isn't there!
But we can still speculate.... Very Happy
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 11, 2021 8:18 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
Thanks FD - my own opinion is that precedence says weapon effect bonuses are canceled.

My new question is admittedly quite speculative. Does Incendiary count against SCh?
It would seem to be a LI weapon similar to javelins and probably just as effective and furthermore costs extra.
Since it looks like Incendiary may have been forgotten in the flank attack rules, and since I believe they are anachronistic with SCh, it seems quite possible no one thought to include it.

Incendiary definitely does not count against SCh. There is an all inclusive list of what counts against SCh (p 16) and Incendiary is not on that list. Furthermore the only close combat Indiary does affect is vs El and WWg (p 19).

Should it? Who knows but that will have to await for v5.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 12, 2021 11:09 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
Za Otlichiye a écrit:

Incendiary definitely does not count against SCh. There is an all inclusive list of what counts against SCh (p 16) and Incendiary is not on that list. Furthermore the only close combat Indiary does affect is vs El and WWg (p 19).

Should it? Who knows but that will have to await for v5.

I agree with Kevin.
I have to give aplogies about incendiaries against Elephants and war wagons, as bonus counts in close fighting. I think it doesn't in capacities canceled by flank attack because we just forget it. This have to be cleared by El Kreator, until this ...
As far i 'm concerned, i don't cancel bonus. But another umpire may do.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: