Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Yuan Chinese - ADLG Super Army?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Auteur Message
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 19, 2021 10:36 am    Sujet du message: Yuan Chinese - ADLG Super Army? Répondre en citant
New blog post:

In 2018 and 2020 I used the Art de la Guerre (ADLG) results database to probe the perennial question of super armies. My starting definition of a super army was an army that, in the hands of almost anyone, will deliver an above average number of victories.

In ADLG games the number of variables involved in determining the outcome is huge; player skill, list choices, terrain deployment etc etc. So to get to the influence of the army list alone I looked at a very large number of games to avoid the perils associated with small data sets.

Then last week I received an email from Mike Guth politely disagreeing with my conclusion and he sited the success of Yuan Chinese armies at the World Championships from 2016 to 2019.

This piqued my interest. Is there something special about the Yuan Chinese in a two list competition like the World Championship? I began to dig.

https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/2021/01/yuan-chinese-adlg-super-army.html

Dernière édition par vexillia le Ven Fév 05, 2021 8:51 am; édité 1 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
Mars
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 04, 2021 11:15 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Link gives me an 'Error 400'.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 05, 2021 8:51 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Link corrected.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 05, 2021 11:03 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yes , yuan chinese is a very good army, but very used in UK. It has weekness well knew in France, and it's easy to counter it.
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 05, 2021 11:47 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Tell us more about the counter measures.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 05, 2021 1:42 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yuan chinese are usualy made with 2 cv bow commands and 1 elephant+MI command
You may take a anti-elephant command, but it's a false good idea.

In fact, the best way is repeling the cv wings and take mi on the flanc/rear.

Or you can allway roll 6.
Soranon
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 05, 2021 11:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
(sorry for my english)

I dont agree with you, Lionel.

Yuan Chinese army list are usualy composed like this :

- A corps d’armee with Impact/Bow Heavy Cavalry (sometimes a small one with only 4 units and only one light horse, sometimes the 4 Guards allowed by the list)
- A corps d’armee with the elephant et some MI/ Mixted MI (sometimes you can found 2 HC impact bow with them if the small corps option is retained)
- A Javanese allied corps with 2 elephants and 3 MI impetuous

The strenght of this list is that it’s a very adaptative one. Each of the previous corps can be the nemesis of some other opponent corps. It’s a very agressive list with a very good command.

If you analyse this army list just for a classic tournament, you can see some weakness, especially against Horse archers army list. If your opponent play a lot of horses archer or play Ghaznévide, you’ll have to figth against more HC bow than you can have (and in case of Ghaznévide with a better elephant corps, the famous 3 elite elephant with 2 dailamis).

But this analysis is wrong in case of a 2 lists tournament. What is very strong with Yuan list is that you can play a second list in witch you choose Koryo Corean allies instead of Javanese allies. A second list composed usualy like this :

- A corps d’armee with Impact/Bow Heavy Cavalry (sometimes a small one with only 4 units and only one light horse, sometimes the 4 Guards allowed by the list)
- A corps d’armee with the elephant et some MI/ Mixted MI (sometimes you can found 3 HC impact bow with them if the small corps option is retained)
- 1 or 2 HC impact with 3-4 mixted heavy lancers/bow and 2 HI 2HW (sometime 5-6 mixted)

This list give you a very good army list against shooting armies and mounted army and make Yuan list a wonderfull jack of all trade army list.

All this doesn’t mean that Yuan army is easy to play. I think it’s a difficult army list, but in a good player’s hand, it’s devastating.
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 06, 2021 8:43 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
vexillia a écrit:
Tell us more about the counter measures.

As for many armies, counter measures have to be considered from the strategic level and from the tactic level
Osbservation
1) Yuan army is fast and agile
2) Yuan army has a pretty good firepower but at short range
3) Yuan army has a medium shock power
4) Terrain is a Key factor for Yuan army
5) Yuan army may have a good initiative (usually +3)
6) Yuan army grant the opponent the possibility to dismount thanks to the elephant it may have but only few ( medium foot protection)

According to this we a can already assess that the best opponent to the Yuan has to be protected by armour or a robust light infantry screen or to have a better firepower, or a greater range, to have a better shock power and to be able to fight in rough terrain with something valuable.
That mean medieval armies with longbow, supported by armoured 2HW or dismounted knights will be valuable opponents. Artillery can be also very useful, especially medium artllery who can be embeded in an infantry line. You will be very satisfy to see Yuan ( or javanese) elephant consuming uge number of PIPs trying to stay outside their range!
Long bow can also be an issue for Yuan, especially if the bowmen are supported by heavy infantry and/or protected by stakes. This will force Yuan to come very early into contact, which is not the usual option retained.
With only bow in front of them, dismounted knigths are near invulnerable an can be formidable opponents to Yuan IF they can catch them
Yuan army terrain are Plain, Mountain and Steppe.
If the Yuan get the initiative against a slower or heavier army could be to let initiative to the ennemy to fight in Steppes or Plains.
If the ennemy get the initiative, best option is to attack the Yuan in Mountains, creating corridors between difficult terrains, impassable, coast etc, and pushing forward on the 1st turn to deny Yuan any strategic depth. This will allow heavy troops to engage the lighter Yuan troops around 3rd or 4th turn, 5th at most if the Yuan withdraw, with quite good advantage.
Considering rough terrain, Yuan can only afford brush and fields, to enable Elephant to protect the medium infantry. Against this king of troops, medium infantry 2HW, supported by some LI javelin could be the solution.
Against the Yuan cav, a tactival combinaison of mounted knights, Light horses and impact cavalry can do the job with "evade cutting" and "contact on pursuit" possibilities.
A good opponent for Yuan could be the swiss army with a good initiative ( +2) a reasonable number of elite phalanx with some light artillery, screened by LI, some knights screened and supported by LH and a good bunch of elite medium foot 2HW. I will prefer a french ordnance army with plenty of options ( knights, HC, medium art, phalanx, medium inf 2HW, longbow....).
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 06, 2021 8:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Soranon a écrit:
(sorry for my english)

I dont agree with you, Lionel.

I don't care. I made more tournament than you did, especialy in UK.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 06, 2021 8:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Nice analysed by commodore, but it's a way to composing a list against yuan.
What avbout all else armies,?
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 07, 2021 8:37 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
Nice analysed by commodore, but it's a way to composing a list against yuan.
What avbout all else armies,?

Sure as it was an answer about Yuan army counter measures ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 08, 2021 11:09 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Why are the Yuan Chinese difficult to use?
Soranon
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 09, 2021 12:35 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mirror match could be complicated... For exemple, Ghaznevid or Delhi Sultanate have Elite elephants (and elephant corps that are more powerfull)

Horse archers armies like Byzantines armies are difficult toplay against too

A simple army list like Viking like the one below can be very complicated to demoralise (and to figth with Javanese Allie)

Ordinary Gen included
3 HI 2HCW armor élite
3 HI swordmen
2 LI

Ordinary Gen included
3 HI 2HCW armor élite
3 HI swordmen
2 LI

Ordinary Allie Gen included
2 HI 2HCW armor élite
4 Heavy lancer
2 LI

Spannish medeval list that can play elite LI Jls, MI impact elite, LMI LB elite and/or javeliners. Even a single javeliner in tougth and resilient list (War of the rose, for exemple) can be annoying for the Yuan army list.

In fact, there's a lot of lists that can counter YUAN. I think it depend more of the players level.

Black Prince a écrit:
Why are the Yuan Chinese difficult to use?

Because it's not a army list that can suffer a lot of loss and beacause opponent will often play more "battleline units" (HI,MI, MC, HC and Kn, all the units that can inflict loss in flank attack or that can be ignored like ligth troops)

It's an agressive army, well suited for players that love (and know how to) manoeuver but with witch you can't afford mistake

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: