Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
v4 - Any basing changes
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Mars
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 23, 2020 3:31 am    Sujet du message: v4 - Any basing changes Répondre en citant
Looking forward to v4 coming out next year. I will shortly be basing a new army and would like to check, if anything can be revealed, whether there will be any changes to basing conventions in v4 over v3? I suspect not. I've seen numerous posts on the FB page discussing using either 15mm or 20mm depth for heavy infantry and while I've seen countless replies 'justifying' it being OK to use 20mm depth for heavies given that, allegedly, was the author's original intention, the rules DO still state 15mm depth for heavies. While in some ways I prefer the more uniform look of everything on 20mm deep bases I can appreciate that the 15mm depth is a useful way of differentiating between heavy and medium infantry. I would also prefer to be basing to the convention in the rules just in case I even decide to attend events. So I'm just trying to ascertain if there are likely to be any changes as I'd hate to base all my HI on 15mm bases only to find the new normal is 20mm (perhaps with an 'allowance' for 15mm). If it's no change I'll just press on Smile
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 23, 2020 10:59 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mars a écrit:
Looking forward to v4 coming out next year. I will shortly be basing a new army and would like to check, if anything can be revealed, whether there will be any changes to basing conventions in v4 over v3? I suspect not. I've seen numerous posts on the FB page discussing using either 15mm or 20mm depth for heavy infantry and while I've seen countless replies 'justifying' it being OK to use 20mm depth for heavies given that, allegedly, was the author's original intention, the rules DO still state 15mm depth for heavies. While in some ways I prefer the more uniform look of everything on 20mm deep bases I can appreciate that the 15mm depth is a useful way of differentiating between heavy and medium infantry. I would also prefer to be basing to the convention in the rules just in case I even decide to attend events. So I'm just trying to ascertain if there are likely to be any changes as I'd hate to base all my HI on 15mm bases only to find the new normal is 20mm (perhaps with an 'allowance' for 15mm). If it's no change I'll just press on Smile

I've been wondering the same thing. My logic is that I have some heavies (Xyston 15mm galation swordm for instance) that are really too big for 15mm depth, so it's an easy decision to use 20mm.

The rules help though (my bold):

"Basing
The number of figures per base and the depth of the base allow different types of troops to be recognised easily. The table below gives the base depths and the number of figures for each category of unit. These values are compatible with most common basing systems, but can be adapted by the players to be compatible with the existing basing of their figures.
It is not necessary to rebase figures if the depth of the base does not match what is indicated here. You are only required to inform your opponent of the type of troops represented. If you use single-based figures, just regroup them on larger bases of the appropriate size. If the depth of a unit comprising several bases is more than one UD (or 2 UD for war wagons) the player is allowed to temporarily remove the rear base if it impedes the movement of the unit."

Though I bet someone has had a friendly debate about spontaneous rear charge distance into HI based at 30 vs 40mm depth..
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 23, 2020 12:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
no basing change in V4
Mars
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 23, 2020 3:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
MC_Delicatessen a écrit:
Mars a écrit:

I've been wondering the same thing. My logic is that I have some heavies (Xyston 15mm galation swordm for instance) that are really too big for 15mm depth, so it's an easy decision to use 20mm.

The rules help though (my bold):

"Basing
The number of figures per base and the depth of the base allow different types of troops to be recognised easily. The table below gives the base depths and the number of figures for each category of unit. These values are compatible with most common basing systems, but can be adapted by the players to be compatible with the existing basing of their figures.
It is not necessary to rebase figures if the depth of the base does not match what is indicated here. You are only required to inform your opponent of the type of troops represented. If you use single-based figures, just regroup them on larger bases of the appropriate size. If the depth of a unit comprising several bases is more than one UD (or 2 UD for war wagons) the player is allowed to temporarily remove the rear base if it impedes the movement of the unit."

Though I bet someone has had a friendly debate about spontaneous rear charge distance into HI based at 30 vs 40mm depth..

Yeah I know what the rules say currently and yes it's sort of optional, it's specifically any change that might happen in v4 I was interested in though. I would in some ways PREFER to use 20mm deep bases for all but, unlike your situation where they simply won't fit, my figures will fit the bases and I'm less inclined to move away from 15mm by choice rather than out of necessity. From the second reply above it looks like there's no change so I'll stick to RAW and 15mm depth it is.

I've read through post after post on the FB page where folks are justifying the use of 20mm deep bases for HI on the basis that this is what the author intended. While that my be the case I'd just prefer to adhere to the rules as written. In many cases of course people will have existing armies where re-basing is just not an option nor indeed required and again, different altogether if figures simply won't fit, then it's a case of needs must.

Now I just need to ponder how I'm going to fit 3 army command figures on a 30x30 base for Bataille Empire LOL Rolling Eyes

Dernière édition par Mars le Lun Nov 23, 2020 4:11 pm; édité 5 fois
Mars
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 23, 2020 3:59 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
no basing change in V4

Thanks for the heads up. 15 mm it is then! Very Happy
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 23, 2020 9:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If you are having trouble basing your heavy foot on 15mm deep bases, why not double base your units? Two rows of Xyson foot will easily fit on a 30mm deep base.

Jesse
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 24, 2020 8:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Longtooth a écrit:
If you are having trouble basing your heavy foot on 15mm deep bases, why not double base your units? Two rows of Xyson foot will easily fit on a 30mm deep base.

Jesse

We usualy do like this.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: