Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Shooting over friendly units
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Adrian Clarke
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu Aoû 22, 2019 7:29 am    Sujet du message: Shooting over friendly units Répondre en citant
Hi people

Can't find this one anywhere on the forum, so to clarify...

"Units on higher ground can shoot over friends if the target is more than 1UD away from the friendly unit" (P49)

If the enemy unit has its front edge within 1UD of intervening friends, but it's rear edge more than 1UD (inevitable for non-LI) is that rear edge a valid target (if you define an edge rather than a unit as a target)? If the edge was sticking over the crest of a hill it would be, even though the rest of the unit was inaccessable.

If the answer is No, then I suggest altering the overhead shooting wording to:

"Units on higher ground can shoot over friends if the target unit is more than 1UD away from the friendly unit"

Any thoughts?

Adrian
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Aoû 22, 2019 7:42 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
That's a bit devious Adrian. Very Happy

The rule says you can shoot over intervening friends, not intervening enemy.

Also, you shoot at units. Although you do measure the distance to the edge of the unit.

So no you can't get around the limitation imposed by the rule
Adrian Clarke
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Aoû 23, 2019 1:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Devious?

Thank you Dave - I’m working on my deviousness in preparation for the LGT. I’m part of team SAD (Somerset, Avon and Dorset). See you there, I hope.

Adrian

ps. Colin’s idea...
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Aoû 23, 2019 1:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Adrian,

I hadn't paid real attention to the rule before you brought it up. I was under the mistaken impression that, as in most previous rule sets, you also needed a gap between the shooter and the unit you're shooting over. But there's no mention of that in the rule.

I can't see how you'd achieve it but you could get phenomenal concentration of shooting by having two lines of Bowmen on a hill, Or even a line of Bowmen fronted by LI archers. Shocked

Dave

Now that's how you do devious Wink
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Aoû 23, 2019 11:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Note that the modifiers may not exceed +3
(See p47)
Adrian Clarke
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 24, 2019 1:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dave, you're a genius!

I see now that is theoretically possible for a column of three bow units fronted by an LI marching down a hill to shoot over the units in front at the front or back edge (accordingly) of a hapless target unit at the foot of the hill. This then gives the max +3 supports to the back bow unit and pays the rest of the world back for all those times that bowmen have been mistreated in ADLG over the ages.

Theoretically. But surely no-one's going to try doing that in a real life gaming situation...

er, are they..?

Adrian Confused
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 24, 2019 9:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Not me as all my LI at the GT are Javelin equipped.

Or are they? Twisted Evil
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Sep 02, 2019 4:12 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I do think Dave's initial instinct that this is not permitted is correct.

The Line of sight rules do not permit you to cross an obstacle and the front edge of the target unit would be an obstacle in this case, wouldn't it?
Adrian Clarke
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Mer Sep 04, 2019 3:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
[quote="Hazelbark"]I do think Dave's initial instinct that this is not permitted is correct.

The Line of sight rules do not permit you to cross an obstacle and the front edge of the target unit would be an obstacle in this case, wouldn't it?[/quote]

Hi Hazelbark

Sure, but overhead fire is all about firing over obstacles. The entire target unit is “visible†in this case, even if not a valid target. If the back of the target unit is a valid target, is the whole unit not a valid target under the current wording?

Adrian

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: